5 corn tortillas, quartered
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes (or you can use Rotel spicy tomatoes)
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 lb ground turkey, browned with onion, garlic, pepper, cumin and chili powder
- 1/2 package reduced fat grated shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jar Casa Herdez Salsa verde or your favorite salsa
- Your choice of fresh chopped cilantro, chopped olives, minced green onionand greek yogurt to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400
- Brown ground turkey with chopped onion, 2-3 cloves garlic (minced) and1/2 tsp each chili powder, cumin, sea salt and pepper
- Cut tortillas into quarters and layer them in the bottom of a glass pie plate or casserole dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Use 2 1/2 tortillas (8-10 quarters) for the bottom layer.
- Spread 1/2 can black beans and 1/2 can corn, then top with 1/3 of the meat sauce and a few spoonfuls of salsa.
- Add another layer of tortilla quarters (use 6-8 quarters, leaving 4 for the top of the pie) over the top of the pie, then top with another layer of corn, beans. diced tomato, meat, and 1/2 of the shredded cheese.
- Add a final layer of tortilla chips (there should be 4 left), top with the remaining meat and a 1/2 cup salsa verde.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes until the tortilla quarters are begning to brown nicely and you can smell the pie throughout the kitchen.
- Pull out the pie, add remaining cheese and put it back in the oven long enough to melt the cheese.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing to serve. Garnish with cilantro, ff greek yogurt (or sour cream), green onions or sliced olives.
This is a toaster oven recipe, made in a 5x8 glass dish to fit my convection oven. Serves 4. You can multiply this dish as needed to make more servings to to make a full size cake pan recipe (if done with cake rounds, I'd recommend making 3 layers).
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 4 tbsp coconut flour (or you can use oat flour)
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 4 packets Truvia sweetener
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds, crushed
- 1/2 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
- Vanilla flavored Stevia drops
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee with 10 drops of Stevia (English Toffee flavored) and 1 tbsp instant coffee mixed in.
1 tsp cocoa powder
fat-free whipped topping
- Blend all the cake ingredients together and pour into 2 shallow pans (or you can use 1 pan but you will have to cut the finished cake in half to layer it). Top batter with 1 tbsp crushed sliced almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
- Let cake cool.
- Blend 1 cup lowfat ricotta cheese (or you can use mascarpone if you can find a lowfat version) with 8-10 drops vanilla flavored Stevia drops. You can also use 5 packets of Truvia plus 1 tsp vanilla extract for the filling.
- Mix the strong brewed coffee with stevia drops.
- Assemble: Place cake sliced in the bottom of a bowl then drizzle with 1/2 the sweetened coffee. Put a layer of sweetened ricotta cheese on the top. Place 2nd cake layer over that, then pour the coffee over the top. Top with ff whipped topping and a sprinkling of cocoa powder.
Note: I made this with Truvia & Stevia drops since it's easier for most people to get. I think it would be better though, using Just Like Sugar as the sweetener. You can also use just Truvia (sweeten the filling and the coffee with almond or vanilla extra).
Healthy Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger root
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp minced green onion
- 1 cup frozen peas & carrot blend or you can use other vegetables of your choice as long as they are chopped into small bite sized pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts or chopped spinach
- 2 oz cooked chicken, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 4 oz shrimp, cooked or raw but make sure they are deveined with the tails off. If using large shrimp, cut them in bite sized pieces
- 2 oz cooked ham, cut into small bite-size pieces
- cook brown rice according to package directions - you can use leftover cooked brown rice for this dish
- in a nonstick pan sprayed with nonstick spray cook up your egg white omelette (scrambled egg, salt, pepper) then set aside
- in the same pan, saute up your garlic, onion, and ginger in 1 tbsp olive oil. When the onions start to turn a little transparent, add in your chicken and shrimp and toss to coat.
- add peas & carrots - if they're frozen you'll need to cook for a few minutes
- add in rice and soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos - mix well
- add bean sprouts or chopped spinach and mix well
- drop omelette back into pan and mix it into the fried rice
- add pepper to taste
Spicy Pan fried Walleye
- 1 large walleye fillet per person
- 1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs (or make bread crumbs by toasting whole wheat bread)
- Old Bay, Lemon Pepper and Smoked Paprika spices
- 1 tsp olive oil (for the fry pan)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp asian chili garlic paste
- Beat egg with asian chili sauce and dip filets it in
- Coat with bread crumbs
- Fry in a pan over medium heat until done.
- Served with brown rice or steamed vegetables.
Low Carb Breakfast Burritos
- 2 Whole Wheat Low Carb Tortillas (Buena Vida or any other low-carb brand)
- 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp salsa
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Scramble eggs with a little water and cook in a nonstick pan sprayed with Pam. Stir in salsa, and a little chopped green onion.
- Warm tortillas on an ungreased skilles or you can wrap them in foil and warm in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Divide egg filling and shredded cheese onto the centers of the heated tortilla. You can also add a spoonful of ff sour cream or nonfat greek yogurt to each burrito.
- Roll up and serve immediately.
Makes 2 burritos.
- 2 large eggs
- 16 oz bag fresh spinach, washed and well-drained
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried garlic
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds, crushed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease your glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Layer 1/3 of the spinach in the bottom of the loaf pan and microwave for 30-60 seconds to wilt it down
- Top with 1 tbsp flax seeds and a sprinkling of dried garlic and parmesan cheese, then layer another 1/3 of the spinach and wilt it down in the microwave again
- Top with another layer of flax seeds ,dried garlic and parmesan cheese, then layer another 1/3 of the spinach and wilt it down in the microwave again
- Top with another layer of flax seeds ,dried garlic and parmesan cheese, then pour the scrambled eggs over the top. Sprinkle on the crushed almonds (omit in C1).
- Add some sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Pop it in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until it has set.
- Slice and enjoy as if it were bread, or all by itself!
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes (C2-3)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/3 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1/2 package lite or ff cream chees
- 1/4 cup skim milk, as needed
- Sour cream topping (optional)
- Butter Buds butter flavoring
- Steam or boil cauliflower until soft, drain well
- Mash in a bowl using a potato masher (or you can use a mixer if you prefer)
- Add in cream cheese and mix well
- Stir in dried potatoes and continue to blend. Add skim milk as needed to bring mixture to proper consistency
- Top with butter buds and a dollop of sour cream
Additional Recipes Links
Recipes on this page may be printed and/or shared by any individual for their own personal, non-commercial use. If you repost one of our recipes on another website or forum, please link back to the original recipe/site so that our recipes do not "accidentally" lose their non-commercial usage restriction. This page, and all pages on this website are copyrighted and may not be duplicated without permission.
This project is brought to you by:
Grassfrog Technologies, LLC
copyright © 2011, all rights reserved.